Solvent Extraction Studies on Zn(Ii) and Cd(Ii) Complexes of 1,5-Dimethyl-2-Phenyl-4[(E)-(2,3,4-Trihydroxyphenyl)]Diazenyl-1,2-Dihydroxyl-3h-Pyrazol-3-One
The azo-ligand, 1,5-dimethyl-2-phenyl-4-[(E)-(2,3,4-trihydroxylphenyl) diazenyl]-1,2-dihydro-3H-pyrazol-3-one (H3L) and its Zn(II) and Cd(II) complexes have been synthesized and characterized based on stoichiometric, molar conductance, electronic and infrared spectral studies. The results showed that H3L reacted with the metals in 2:1 ratio. H3L coordination was through the hydroxyl, azo and carbonyl groups to form [Zn(H2L)2]2+ and [Cd(H2L)2]2+ respectively. Solvent extraction studies on Zn(II) and Cd(II) using 1,5-dimethyl-2-phenyl-4-[(E)-(2,3,4-trihydroxylphenyl) diazenyl]-1,2-dihydro-3H-pyrazol-3-one were carried out with CHCl3. Effects of other extraction variables like, pH, salting-out agent, masking agent and acids were also investigated. Cd(II) was quantitatively extracted in 0.001 M HCl up to 100%; and 0.001 M of either thiocyanate, or 0.001 M tatrate masked Cd(II) up to 90%, under five minutes. Extraction of Zn(II) with H3L/CHCl3 was quantitative in 0.001 M HCl up to 96% under seventy minutes. In the same vein, 1 M cyanide and 1 M thiocyanate masked it up to 79% and 67% respectively. Cd(II) was successfully separated from Zn(II) following four-cycle extraction up to 96.5% in 0.001 M HCl using H3L/CHCl3 in the presence of 1 M cyanide. Recovery of Zn(II) and Cd(II) from rubber carpet was up to 90% and 85% respectively under the established parameters. The extraction constant was established for both Zn(II) and Cd(II) complexes from the results obtained from pH, where the slope was 0.141 and 0.0516, and the extraction constant 7.316 and 3.899 respectively. Hence, H3L is a promising extractant for Zn(II) and Cd(II) ions.
Copyright © 2023 Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.
This article is published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0
If you like this article, see others like it:
- Pd/Fe3o4 Catalyzed Hiyama Syntheses of Angular Phenothiazine and Phenoxazine Derivatives and their Antimicrobial Activities
- Assessment of Two Local Plant Dyes as Colourants for Petroleum Products (Petrol, Kerosene and Diesel)
- Synthesis and Biological Activities of Phenylsulfonyl Amino Alkan Amides
- Total Alkaloids, Total Tannins Content and Antiulcer Assay of Four Selected Medicinal Plants
- Spectrophotometric Determination of Paracetamol Using Zirconium (IV) Oxide and Ammonium Trioxovanadate (V)