Synthesis and Characterization of Zinc Oxide Nanowire
Zinc Oxide (ZnO) nanowires with hexagonal structure were successfully synthesized by chemical bath deposition technique. The obtained nanowires were characterized by scanning electron microscope (SEM), X-ray diffraction (XRD), energy dispersive X-ray analysis (EDX) and spectrophotometer. The SEM micrographs revealed the morphology of ZnO nanowires with diameter between 170.3 and 481nm and showed that the pH of the bath solution, 8.1 is the optimized value to form ZnO nanowires with hexagonal shape. The XRD pattern of the samples revealed that ZnO nanowire has a hexagonal crystallite structure and further showed that the crystallite size supported by Scherrer’s equation increase with increasing annealing temperature (0.536 nm, 0.541nm, 0.557 nm at 1000C, 1500C and 2000C) respectively. The EDX analysis revealed the elemental compositions of samples and confirmed the presence of Zn and O. The results of the optical analysis showed that ZnO nanowire has high absorbance in the ultraviolet and infrared regions with high transmittance in the visible region. The results further revealed that the absorbance of the nanowire increase with increasing annealing temperature. Its high absorbance in the ultraviolet region suggest that it can be use as solar harvester for trapping solar energy for photovoltaic panel which is capable of converting sunlight radiation directly to electricity for commercial or industrial purpose.
Copyright © 2023 Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.
This article is published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0
If you like this article, see others like it:
- Pd/Fe3o4 Catalyzed Hiyama Syntheses of Angular Phenothiazine and Phenoxazine Derivatives and their Antimicrobial Activities
- Assessment of Two Local Plant Dyes as Colourants for Petroleum Products (Petrol, Kerosene and Diesel)
- Synthesis and Biological Activities of Phenylsulfonyl Amino Alkan Amides
- Total Alkaloids, Total Tannins Content and Antiulcer Assay of Four Selected Medicinal Plants
- Spectrophotometric Determination of Paracetamol Using Zirconium (IV) Oxide and Ammonium Trioxovanadate (V)