State-Space Design and Construction of a Magnetic Suspension System
The state space is applied in the design of Magnetic Suspension System, where a controller is designed with the aim of making the system stable and providing the performance specifications of settling time less than or equal to 0.5 secs, Maximum overshot less than or equal to 5 percent and Steady State error less or equal to 1 percent. A reference input was introduced which help to make steady state error equal to zero from a value of about 100%. Also an observer is designed which estimate the state variable that can not be measured. The designed controller had a gain of 9.6, which was used to determine the gain of the power amplifier used in the system. The designed controller caused the overshoot and settling time to reduce from undefined values to 4.1% and 0.22 seconds respectively which conformed with the performance specifications. The observer also made it possible to observe the convergence of the actual and estimated values of the state variables in less than 0.5 sec. Prototype of magnetic suspension system was constructed and the system was able to suspend a ball of mass of 28g at a distance of 1.2cm below the coil.
Copyright © 2023 Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.
This article is published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0
If you like this article, see others like it:
- Production of Emulsion Paint with the Available Materials
- The Use of Local Pigments and Extenders for Formulation and Production of Emulsion Paint
- Construction of Steel Frame Drawing Desk (Easy Steps)
- In Situ Co2 EOR Mechanism and Co2-Oil Phase Behavior
- Appraisal of Private Maritime Security Companies in Nigeria Maritime Environment: Issues and Prospects