Evaluation of Green Plastics in Nigeria
The combined properties of low cost, lightweight, and resistance to chemicals and corrosion has increased the use of plastic materials for packaging and storage purposes in preference to other materials. Consequently, there is a continued increase in their proportion in domestic solid wastes worldwide as well as the concern of their impacts on the environment. Most developed and developing countries have put in place and continue to improve their plastic waste disposal, collection, and recycling methods to reduce these impacts. In Nigeria with a population of about 186 million, there are little or no available data on the use of plastic materials in relation to city populations, their disposal, collection, and recycling methods. There are a few numbers of plastic waste recycling companies in a fewer number of cities and disposal practices for the greater percentage of the plastic wastes that are not captured for recycling possess immediate and future danger for the environment. This work reviews the consumption of plastics, its waste generation, collection, and treatment in Nigeria and a few selected countries. The problems associated with inadequate management of the wastes were emphasized and recommendations were proffered to not only highlight research and investment opportunities that are inherent in plastic waste management in Nigeria, but also provide a background for the formulation of sustainable regulatory policies by the government to address the problems.
Copyright © 2023 Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.
This article is published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0
If you like this article, see others like it:
- Impact of Air Pollution on Human Health and the Environment
- Quantifying Rate of Vegetation Cover Changes in Enugu State Using NDVI Techniques for the Year 1991, 2003 and 2015
- Modelling the Cadastral System of Enugu State Using Unified Modelling Language (UML)
- Land Use and Land Cover Changes Detection in Abakiliki Metropolis and its Environs From 1986 to 2014 Using Remote Sensing and Geographic Information System
- Application of Remote Sensing and GIS in the Population Study of Achara Layout Enugu, Enugu State, Nigeria