The Impact of Good Leadership in Our Society
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Leadership is a very important issue in any society and organization. Most organizations particularly the public sector organization have been described as performing below expectation because of the quality of leadership they enjoy.
Leadership is vitally important at all levels within society. Leadership is the moral and intellectual ability to visualize and work for what is best for the country and its citizens. Effective leadership helps to develop the society and organization and the integration of individual and group goals in the organization within the society. Leaders have to sustain performance, sustaining current performance and growing for the future within the citizens in the society. While keeping eyes on performance indicators, leaders encourage creativity and innovation, risk-taking and skills for future development. The vital role of the leader in shaping performance becomes fundamental to the development of society.
1.2 WHAT IS LEADERSHIP
Leadership can be defined as a process by which people are directed, guided, and led towards achieving goals.
Akinboye (2005) defines leadership as leaders inducing followers to act for certain goals that represent the values and the wants and needs, the aspirations and expectations of both leaders and followers.
Neanna (1996:93) defined leadership as the ability of a leader to influence his subordinates so that they strive willingly towards the attainment of goals.
When one hears of leadership, as a topic of discussion, numerous ideas may likely come to his mind, he may think of leadership in terms of power, authority or influence, etc.
However, one may equally conceive some international acclaimed greed names like:
Napole on churches, Abraham Lincoln, Nnamdi Azikiwe, etc used the records of those men as a yardstick to measure the required traits that efficient and effective leadership should posse and the nature of the concept of leadership. In this research work, we should concern ourselves with the impact of good leadership in our society using Adams Oshomhole, Edo State Governor as a case study.
1.3 THE IMPORTANCE OF A GOOD LEADER
Ø A good leader knows where he is going: in terms of achieving a goal.
Ø A good leader knows how to get from here to there: In other words, he not only knows where they need to go but also how to get there.
Ø A good leader determines exactly where the country is to go and by putting strenuous effort to ensure that it gets there, he should be flexible if he means to achieve a positive result.
1.4 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Implicit in any society is leadership. This is because society can function as a function through which activities are rendered.
However, the researcher embarked on this study due to these problems.
1. To discover why some people that occupy a key position in our society feel that government-owned established is not their affairs?
2. Do they thereby exhibit a nonchalant attitude towards discharging their duties?
3. Under circumstances will their subordinates also show apathy or lack of interest in government work?
4. Do some leaders concentrate more on their satisfaction rather than a citizen?
5. Finally to know some of the leaders that do not recognize their subordinates especially in the decision-making process without knowing that such subordinates are materials for effective decision making.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The study sought answers to the following research questions.
1. What are the leadership styles that could be identified in any society or Edo state?
2. What kind of leadership exists under Governor Adams Oshomhole’s administration in Edo state?
3. Can good leadership lead to more development in Edo State?
1.6 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The main objectives of this research work are as follows:
In this research work, to limit the exercise, this research work is aimed at achieving the following end.
1. To identify the set goals or objectives of the administration understudy and to ascertain whether the administration is achieving that idea of leadership.
2. To find out the effectiveness of Adams Oshomhole’s Administration and how it has contributed towards the achievement of the goals of the society.
3. To examine how good leadership has helped to enhance development in Edo state.
1.7 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance of the study can be sub-divided into two broad categories theoretical significance and practical significance.
The Theoretical Significance
This study is a case study and as a case study, certain generalizations and postulations of this study can be used to explain the impact of good leadership in our society.
The Practical Significance
This study will be useful to most students and other citizens of the Edo State that need the importance of good leadership. The management of organizations can use the finding and the recommendations of this study to improve the qualities of justice for their subordinate performance.
1.8 SCOPE AND THE LIMITATION OF STUDY
This research work covers the impact of good leadership in our society, observing Adams Oshomhole’s Administration and its impact on the development of Edo State.
1.9 DEFINITION OF TERMS
This involves the explanation of terms which one related to the study and which if not explained may hamper people’s understanding of the research report. Those terms like Leadership:
LEADERSHIP: Akinboye (2005) defines leadership as leaders inducing followers to act for certain goals that represent the values and the wants and needs, the aspirations and expectations of both leaders and followers.
However, spears (1990:43) defined leadership as getting things done by working with people and physical resources through coordination influencing, directing, etc. to accomplish the objectives of an organization or a society.
According to Chijioke (1987:15), Leadership can be defined as guiding a group of persons towards achieving their goals or ambitions.
This is the act or process of administering, especially the management of a government or large institution.
PERFORMANCE: Performance is an action or achievement considered about how successful or non-successful a worker contributed to an organization or society’s productivity.
ORGANIZATION: This means an established entity with an explicit or implicit objective.
Is the government of the people, by the people, and for the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.
DEVELOPMENT: The gradual growth of something so that it becomes more advanced, stronger a new event or stage that is likely to affect what happens in a continuing situation. It could be in political and economical
Copyright © 2023 Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.
This article is published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0
If you like this article, see others like it:
- The Doctrine of Separation of Powers and Checks and Balances in the Nigerian Executive-Legislative Relationship
- Complexity of Independent National Electoral Commision’s Operational Space as Challenge to Credible Elections in Nigeria
- The Security Implication of Election Rigging in 3rd World Countries
- Weapons Technology and Internal Security Provisioning in Nigeria
- Change in Political Administration and its Impact on the Economy