The freshwater catfish is the most predominant species of the teleost bred in captivity in Nigeria and has provided a model for the study of reproduction in aquatic vertebrates, but information on the number of mitotic divisions and spermatogonia generations remains inconclusive. This investigation aimed to assess the number of generations of spermatogonia produced before meiotic division during spermatogenesis. Results indicate that spermatogenesis occurred in cysts and germ cells at the same stage of maturation forming clones around the Sertoli cell It is concluded that spermatogenesis in captive-bred African catfish Clarias gariepinus is cystic and that spermatogonia arrangement in the cysts is unrestricted and progressive.
1. Schulz, R.W., L.R. de Franca, J.J. Lareyre, F. Le Gac, H. Chiarini-Garcia, R.H. Nobrega and T. Miura, 2010. Spermatogenesis in
fish. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol., 165: 390-411.
2. Ando,N.,Miura,T.,Nader,M.R.,Miura,C.,Yamauchi,K.,2000.A method for estimating the number of mitotic divisions in fish
3. Schulz RW, Menting S, Bogerd J, Franc¸ a LR, Vilela DAR, Godinho HP.2005. Sertoli cell proliferation in the adult testis–evidence
from two fish species belonging to different orders. Biol Reprod 73:891–898.
4. Billard,R.,1986.Spermatogenesis and spermatology of some teleost fish species, Reprod. Nutr.Develop.26,877–920.
5. Leal, M.C., Cardoso, E.R., Nóbrega, R.H., Batlouni, S.R., Bogerd, J., França, L.R., and Schulz, R.W.2009. Histological and
Stereological Evaluation of Zebrafish (Danio rerio) Spermatogenesis with an Emphasis on Spermatogonial Generations Biol.
6. Loir,M.,1999.Spermatogonia of rainbow trout:II.In vitro study of the influence of pituitary hormones, growth factors and steroids
on mitotic activity.Mol. Reprod. Develop.53,434–442.
7. Loir, M., C. Cauty, P. Planquette and P.Y. Le Bail, 1989. Comparative study of the male reproductive tract in seven families of
South-American catfishes. Aquat. Living. Resour., 2: 45-56.
8. Chaves-Pozo, E., V. Mulero, J. Meseguer and A.G. Ayala, 2005. An overview of cell renewal in the testis throughout the
reproductive cycle of a seasonal breeding teleost, the gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata L.). Biol. Reprod., 72: 593-601.
9. Suwanjarat, J., T. Amornsakun, L. Thongboon and P. Boonyoung, 2005. Seasonal changes of spermatogenesis in the male sand
goby Oxyeleotris marmoratus Bleeker, 1852 (Teleostei, Gobiidae). Songklanakarin J. Sci. Technol., 27: 425-436.
10. Van Dyk, J.C. and G.M. Pieterse, 2008. A histo-morphological study of the testis of the sharptooth catfish (Clarias gariepinus) as
reference for future toxicological assessments. J. Applied Ichthyol., 24: 415-422.
11. Orlu, E.E., & Gabbriel,U.U. 2011. Effect of sublethal concentrations of Lepidagathis alopecuroides aqueous extract on the
efficiency of spermatogenesis in gravid broodstock Freshwater African catfish Clarias gariepinus. Research Journal of
Environmental Toxicology, 5 (1), 27-38
12. Yasser A. Ahmed, Nada A. Abdel Samei and Ahmed Z. Zayed, 2013. Morphological and Histomorphological Structure of Testes of
the Catfish “Clarias Gariepinus” From Egypt. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 16: 624-629.
13. Matta SLP, Vilela DAR, Godinho HP, Franc¸ a LR. 2006. The goitrogen 6-npropyl-2-thiouracil (PTU) given during testis
development increases cells transplantation in fish: the Nile-tilapia model. Anim Reprod 3:146–159.
14. Batlouni,S.R.,Nóbrega,R.H.França,L.R.,2009.Cell junctions in the fish seminiferous epithelium.Fish Physiol. Biochem.35,207–217.
15. Nkanga, E.E.1997. Kinetics of spermatogenesis and germ cell Degeneration of the domestic fowl (Gallus domesticus). Niger
Delta Biologia, 2 (1a), 19-27.
Copyright © 2023 Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.
This article is published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0
If you like this article, see others like it: