Sustainable Consumption and the Law
The law introduces a Policy for Education on Sustainable Consumption in order to “encourage adoption of consumer practices and production techniques that are ecologically sustainable” (Art 1).
The law defines “sustainable consumption” as “use of natural resources in order to provide quality of life for the present generation without compromising the needs of future generations” (Art 1.1) and it includes among its nine key objectives the”promotion of reduction in consumption of water, energy and other renewable and non-renewable natural resources at the household level and from production, commerce and services” (Art 2.II).
Other objectives include: promoting re-use of and recycling of packaging and products to reduce solid waste and hazardous waste (Art 2.III-IV); encouraging companies to incorporate social, cultural and environmental dimensions in their production and management processes and better management of the whole life cycle of products (Art 2.V-VI); and ensuring the right to information and promotion of environmental labeling and certification (Art 2.VIII).
To achieve these objectives, federal, state and municipal governments are called on to carry out public awareness and media campaigns and train teachers on including sustainable consumption in their curriculum for primary and secondary education (Art 3.I-II).
Copyright © 2023 Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.
This article is published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0
If you like this article, see others like it:
- Quantifying Rate of Vegetation Cover Changes in Enugu State Using NDVI Techniques for the Year 1991, 2003 and 2015
- Modelling the Cadastral System of Enugu State Using Unified Modelling Language (UML)
- Land Use and Land Cover Changes Detection in Abakiliki Metropolis and its Environs From 1986 to 2014 Using Remote Sensing and Geographic Information System
- Application of Remote Sensing and GIS in the Population Study of Achara Layout Enugu, Enugu State, Nigeria
- As-Built Surveying for the Facility Retrofitting of an Offshore Gas Plant Using Leica Scanstation 2 High Definition Surveying Instrument